Directions: Transcribe into braille the following sentences. |
Transcriptions are to be prepared using a brailler emulation program (Mac/PCBrailler, Duxbury,
Edgar, Megadots, etc.). Files must be submitted electronically. No hardcopy braille will be accepted.
Files done with brailler emulation programs (Mac/PCBrailler, Duxbury,
Edgar, Megadots, etc.) should be emailed as text files to Feedback Form (we are no longer accepting submissions)
Make sure you put your name in electronic braille as a part of the file
itself. Please do not send files titled "braille" or "session8".
If you are sending your work as an email attachment, you should name your
files as something unique, such as the first six (6) characters of your
email address, and then the characters "S8", followed by the three letter
code (.dxb, .acn, etc.) that your braille software produces. For example,
Duxbury files sent by email@example.com would be titled "broadnaxS8.dxb",
where ".dxb" is the three letter code Duxbury uses for its files. The limit
on the part of the file before the dot is eight (8).
The exercises are designed for a 40-cell braille line with 25 lines per page. If you must work with something other than a 40-cell braille line, a note should be included as part of your file telling the instructor the number of cells across you are using.
The first line of the first page should carry a centered heading, such as Session 3, Session 4, and so on. The heading should be followed by a blank line. Consecutive page numbers should be shown at the right margin on the first line of each page.
Each sentence, that is, each sentence number, should begin in cell 3 with sentence runovers in cell 1. No blank lines should be left between sentences.
The maximum number of spaces on a braille line should be utilized. Therefore, wherever there is room on a line for one or more syllables and a hyphen, even on the last line of a braille page, as many syllables should be written on that line as space will permit.
At the end of the exercise leave one blank line and braille your full name.
- It is important to the country that the conduct of the next election be handled properly but with enthusiasm.
- It was possible for Theodore to visit Germany, France, Sweden, and several other European nations during the six-week excursion over the ocean.
- Lance commented on the creation of the timeline for the project, stating that it is really crucial that it be done in time for the quarterly meeting.
- There has been some discussion on the subject of having a constitutional amendment to ensure that there be a balanced budget for the nation.
- "Discipline in this outfit is terrible," exclaimed the drill sergeant to his commanding officer, "and full of nothing but riffraff!"
- Charlton Heston addressed the topic ' Winning the Cultural War' at the Harvard Law School Forum, February 16, 1999.
- On March 6, 1974 Ayn Rand's address to the graduating class of the United States Military Academy at West Point was entitled PHILOSOPHY: WHO NEEDS IT.
- Question #40 in the questionnaire had to be answered "yes" or "no."
- Taenia are a type of tapeworm. Taenia saginata larvae are found in beef, taenia solium in pork, and diphyllobothrium latum in fish. In most tapeworm infections, a person acquires the infection by eating the infected animal. (NOTE: taenia saginata larvae, taenia solium, and diphyllobothrium latum are in italics.)
- Binomial and trinomial functions are common in the various forms of abstract and complex mathematics.
- He is an insufferable bore, and his conceit knows no bounds!
- During the 19th century, the sixteen-hour day was not uncommon, whereas now there is even talk of shortening the eight-hour day. (NOTE: sixteen and eight are in italics.)
- Suddenly the hubbub ceased. When the robber saw the cop put his finger on the trigger he gave up the struggle.
- It seems that every time there is work to be done, there has to be some d--n sub-committee established to discuss the situation for time-over-end!
- I really enjoyed watching All in the Family with that O'Connor guy playing the lead role of Archie Bunker. (NOTE:All in the Family is in italics.)
- Around the turn of the century the Census attempted to count all of the peoples living in the mountainous areas in the Tennessee valley.
- One of my favorite "action-heroes" as a kid was Daniel Boone, and everyone my age can still sing the song from the show by heart.
- The Chancellor of the University of North Carolina is a distinguished scientist, academic, and total professional in his everyday interactions with others.
- Our nation does not have a reliable ally when it comes to dealing with the problems in the Middle East and in Bosnia-Herzegovinia.
- "May I extend my warm congratulations to the new grandfather," he chuckled as he grasped the hand of his lifelong comrade.