BRL: Braille through Remote Learning
Intro to Braille Course
Session 1 main page
Writing for the Blind: A Brief History
The Braille System
Pre-Modern Day Braille
Modern Day Braille
Other BRL Courses
Special Codes Course
BRL REFERENCE DESK
Tools and resources
Session 1: Objectives
Session 1: Introduction to Braille
Upon completion of this session, a participant should be able to do the following:
- Describe the evolution of writing methodologies over the years.
- Describe briefly the role of each of these key historical figures:
- Valentin Hauy
- Dr. William Moon
- Charles Barbier
- Louis Braille
- William Wait
- Samuel Howe
- Describe some of the difficulties encountered by early inventors of writing devices.
- Explain the different types of braille:
- Grade 1 braille
- Grade 1 1/2 braille
- Grade 2 braille
- Describe the total number of braille cells possible and how that number is determined.
- Describe the basic structure of the braille cell.
- Describe the different components of Grade 2 braille.
- Describe the different devices available for producing braille.